Example assemblies only in GAC

May 21, 2007 at 8:20 AM
First of all: GREAT work on the DSL Editor PowerToy.

I am currently trying to learn how to use the PowerToy and I noted that the DslEditorPowerToy.Controls.Editors.dll is only available in the GAC. Since I wanted to look at the implementation using refelector I had difficulty opening the dll. Is it possible to make this assembly (and other example assemblies) also available under C:\Program Files\Microsoft\DSL Editor PowerToy 1.1.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!
May 21, 2007 at 10:42 AM
Hi,

Did you notice you can also download the source code for this PowerToy from this workspace? Although reflector is a very powerful tool, studying the "real code" is much more convinient I think :-). No seriously, have a look at the source code (download it from the release page) and I think you will find everything you need.

Edward

Coordinator
May 21, 2007 at 10:46 AM
Hello Robert, thanks for the feedback.

So, in practice, we don't deploy the assemblies privately because they are used by code running in the DSL assemblies (also deployed to the GAC for others reasons).

However, it is feasible to deploy them also privately in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\DSL Editor PowerToy 1.1" also if that helps.

The future rationale for this would be something like: DSL developers may need to develop against theses assemblies (perhaps), since we are building an developer tool of sorts here.
I think a better practice however, would be to deploy them privately to the "Public Assemblies" folder of Visual Studio, rather then 'Program Files' in this case.
That way you can reference them directly in your DSL projects (for those not already added).
Also, we only allow one version of this PowerToy per machine, so there should not be any DLL hell in the Public Assemblies folder with different PowerToy versions. So again, this confirms the practicalities of this.

Let's consider this for next release.

BTW: To have a look at the implementation of any of the assemblies of this release, you can either download the source for the release Source for offline analysis, or, for this release, browse the source file by file online starting here M1 Release - Changeset Source

cheers
Coordinator
May 21, 2007 at 10:55 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.