Power toy for Orcas -- WPF

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:31 AM
Is there an Orcas version of this powertoy or has anyone tried to migrate the source?

I was considering playing with this and building a WPF based control as a custom editor for a DSL. Is that possible? Any gotchas?
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2007 at 1:49 AM
No, not yet. Since Orcas is not released yet, and most people will be building on Whidbey still, no port yet.

There is not so much to go wrong in the port as far as code and depenedencies. These should upgrade gracefully.
However, the DSLTools changed from using CTC to VSCT resource file format. This is a major change actually to how the resources of the PowerToy will integrate into the DSL solution and how they are loaded.
We will be getting to this in time.

Happy for someone to have a go and let us know what needs changing.
Aug 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM
I've just run Editor PowerToy in Orcas Beta 1! It required some changes in project files. I did not port Setup project, so installed using "Register Guidance Package" from VS. Also ported CTC template to VSCT template, I will post more details shorlty. Hopefully with clean instructions how to do it.
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM
Sorry, somehow I missed this good news in my feeder.

This is great news, what can you share from your work?

PreTomas wrote:
I've just run Editor PowerToy in Orcas Beta 1! It required some changes in project files. I did not port Setup project, so installed using "Register Guidance Package" from VS. Also ported CTC template to VSCT template, I will post more details shorlty. Hopefully with clean instructions how to do it.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:41 PM
Sorry for such delay, I was away. Coming back to this project this week hopefully. Need to clean up code a bit and it's ready for sharing. As I remember I had installer ported as well.

If you wish, I can send you what I have in its current state right away. I also plan to share it on my blog once it's set up (beginning next week), currently I have no place to share the files. For now I can just send the installer and/or sources by email, check your PM for my contact information.
Nov 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM
Hi

I just migrated some DSL project to VS2008 RTM with SDK V1.0 and they work fine ... however in a project with the DSL Editor Power Toy i Get an error with the EditorConfiguration attribute.

<#@ EditorConfiguration processor="EditorConfigurationDirectiveProcessor" requires="fileName='..\DslEditorsDefinition.deptec'" #>

in the CommandId.tt file

any ideas ???

Thanks in advance.
Dec 3, 2007 at 6:25 PM
I've got the same error. Could anybody help me?
Thanks.
Dec 5, 2007 at 7:30 PM
Hi, had the same problem here.

Looked in the registry where the processors are registered and EditorConfigurationDirectiveProcessor was not there.

So I executed VSPackageRegistrySettings.reg manually and now it works!
Dec 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM
Hi ,

looks like you guys made it to run the tool against VS2008. When do you think an official update of this project running in VS2008 will be available?

Thanks a lot.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2007 at 12:47 PM
I want to respond just to let you know I am not ignoring anyone, I do care, but at present I am a little swamped with real life.
I am hoping to get back to this as soon as possible and get a proper new release going for you guys on Orcas.
Hoping that the fix and workaround above will keep you going for now.
Jun 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Hi All

I am happy to announce that you can download a full version of DSL Editor PowerToy support VS2008 with full functionality.
for more information see this post (DSL Editor Powertoy in VS2008)